Friday, May 23, 2008

A Rainy Day for Baking...



On Monday we reached 93° here. Perfect for playing in the park and giving my children those pinkish cheeks indicative of Summer fun. Not, however, the best weather for baking. I was a bit dreadful of the coming days when I was to be baking scrumptious goodies for my first "job". But to my great surprise we made it back down to a rainy 58° on Wednesday. Perfect for sending my little ones downstairs to play while I baked trays full of brownies, hello dollies, and yes, more chocolate chip cookies. It was so exciting to awaken with a sense of purpose more than just dressing and feeding kids (not that that isn't rewarding in it's own unique and marvelous way). I suddenly felt like I had re-entered the real world - the world where adults interact with other adults and have conversations pertaining to things other than school work and play dates. And as I folded my first pastry box, filled it with homemade treats, and taped my card to the side I felt a sense of exhilaration. I delivered the boxes of little fancies to a "So, You Think You Can Dance" premiere party and went home to enjoy the sweet, sweet satisfaction of a rainy day baking and my first successful job as Très Sucré... Salut!

1 comments:

Lars said...

The mint, sprinkle brownies are SO good and just right sized. The puffed rice squares with the chocolate are also yummy.

Those lemon and blackberry cupcakes are so tempting!